When most people think of braces, they think of kids as the main demographic. However, individuals of all ages have orthodontic problems like crooked or crowded teeth. As a result, many adults are getting braces for the first time (or even second time, for those of us who lost our retainers!) to correct such issues. Adult braces can provide you with a solution for orthodontic problems. There are a variety of different options available to you.
Adult Braces Options
Thanks to advancements in technology over the years, there are more options than ever in terms of adult braces. You can choose from an array of styles depending on your needs and preferences. An orthodontist can work with you to determine which is best for you. Adult braces include the following:
- Metal brackets: Traditional metal braces are the most popular option since they have been around the longest. The metal brackets are placed on the front of each tooth and are connect together with a wire. They are tied to the wire with an elastic “o-tie” which can be changed from appointment to appointment and can be a variety of colors.
- Ceramic brackets: Like the name suggests, ceramic braces are created using clear ceramic brackets. These are a good alternative to metal braces if you are looking for a less obvious type of braces that are non-removable. These braces are also attached to the wire using “o-ties”.
- Damon brackets: These brackets are metal and are known for the door on the front which replaces the need for color ties. They are “self- ligating” meaning they adjust over time so that the patient can go longer between visits than with other types of brackets.
- Invisalign: These are clear aligners that are worn 22 hours a day to straighten your teeth. They have a much lower profile than traditional braces and are removable, so there are no food restrictions while in treatment.
Positive Results Come from Wearing Adult Braces
Of course, there are a number of benefits you can enjoy when you choose to get braces as an adult. Adult braces can align your teeth into proper position and restore your smile to its most beautiful. You will see amazing results after your orthodontic treatment is complete. In addition, there are many other positive benefits you notice after your adult braces have been removed. They include the following:
- Easier oral hygiene: Practicing proper oral hygiene is often difficult when you have orthodontic problems. If your teeth are crowded, it can be hard to effectively clean them and eliminate food particles stuck between the teeth when you floss. However, after you have finished your adult braces treatment, you can clean your teeth and gums properly.
• Easier chewing: Chewing is much easier once you have corrected the issue of a misaligned bite. After your orthodontist has worked their magic, you can more comfortably chew and enjoy your meals.
• Eliminates bad breath: When you have problems with your teeth, it can result in food particles getting stuck. As a result, bacteria can grow and cause you to have bad breath. Adult braces can eliminate this problem.
• Prevents tooth damage: If your teeth are misaligned, they can rub against each other and wear away at the enamel, which can damage to your teeth. Braces can prevent this from happening.
• Increases self-confidence: Correcting your orthodontic issues with braces can help correct a problem patients have been dealing with for their entire lives.
Caring for Adult Braces
Caring for your adult braces is just as important as caring for your teeth. Brush your teeth twice or even three times per day and floss between the brackets as well as your teeth. It can ensure that your teeth and braces both remain as clean and healthy as possible.
Request a Consultation
If you are in Michigan and are ready to get the beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of, contact Swan Orthodontics for a consultation. You can reach us using our online form, or by giving our office a call at 616-698-2323.